Purpose: The HIV AIDS Legal Centre (HALC) is a community legal centre specialising in issues related to HIV/AIDS and a program of the Victorian AIDS Council (VAC). Volunteering with us will gain you exposure to interesting people and a wide scope of legal work. This is a legal administration assistant position where you will be the first point of call for clients, directing their enquiries as required.
Supervision: The Legal Administration Assistant Volunteer is supervised and reports to the manager of the Positive Living Centre (PLC).
Duties and responsibilities:
This is a legal administration assistant position where you will be the first point of call for clients, directing their enquiries as required. Tasks include:
- Managing client files
- Answering calls and emails
- Managing the client database
- Providing referrals
- Helping with other tasks as allocated by supervisor/s from time to time
Must be undertaking or have completed Bachelor Laws/ Juris Doctor.
We are seeking volunteers to work one night per week on Thursday evenings between 6.30 - 9.00pm at the Positive Living Centre, South Yarra. We are ultimately looking for a weekly commitment, for a minimum of twelve months.
Volunteer role location:
The volunteer will work at the Positive Living Centre, at 51 Commercial Rd South Yarra (old Braille Library). The volunteer is responsible for arranging transport to and from this address.
The position is subject to satisfactory completion of a Police check and a Working with Children Check. Successful applicants will be required to complete the VAC volunteer induction before commencing in their role.
Key Selection Criteria:
The following are central to the legal administration assistant position and are our primary basis for selection.
- A strong commitment to social justice and a sensitivity to and/or experience in working with clients and people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Proficient in using the Microsoft suite of products.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working autonomously and as a contributing and productive team member, with a goal oriented approach.
- Ability to identify and handle completing priorities in a timely manner.
- Must be undertaking or have completed Bachelor Laws/ Juris Doctor.
- Available on a weekly basis for a minimum for twelve months.