- Provide proof of HIV Status;
- Demonstrated receipt of a Social Security Benefit or Pension
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Resident of Victoria.
- Provide a Centrelink income statement
Financial (David Williams Fund)
The David Williams Fund (DWF) was established in 1986 to provide emergency financial assistance to people living with HIV (PLHIV) who are experiencing financial hardship. The fund relies upon donations.
- Financial advice and referral
- Food Vouchers
- Study Assist
- Money Matter workshops
- Emergency Financial assistance
- No Interest Loans (NILS)
Poverty affects a substantial number of PLHIV, and demand for assistance regularly outstrips the funding available. Each year, the DWF distributes over $100,000 to PLHIV in Victoria. The Fund is totally reliant upon the sale of red ribbons as well as various community fundraisers, such as the annual Northside Bizarre hosted by the Laird Hotel.
The DWF is further supported by a generous sponsorship from M·A·C Cosmetics to ensure adequate levels of funding are available.
What we can assist with
Assistance may be provided for any item that will legitimately improve and enhance the health and well-being of PLHIV.
Items for consideration may include:
- Utilities, eg, gas, water, electricity.
- Telephone service and equipment charges.
- Two weeks rent or mortgage payments may be considered
- Motor vehicle/bike repairs.
- Removal/storage expenses.
- Medical, Pharmaceutical, Dental and Optical expenses.
- Rates and Body Corporate fees.
- Food vouchers.
- Funeral assistance (must be prior to applicant’s death).
- Childcare and/or respite costs.
- White goods, eg, refrigerator, washing machine.
- Beds and Manchester.
The fund does not assist with
- Legal, fines, loans/credit cards, pawned items & accounts already paid.
All applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis. No application is guaranteed
You can discuss your application with the DWF Co-ordinator to determine the likelihood of your application being approved.
Please note that DWF applications are not accepted by fax.
DWF application forms are available online or at the following locations:
- The Positive Living Centre, at 51 Commercial Road, South Yarra.
- VAC's Peter Knight Centre, at 6 Claremont Street, South Yarra.
- The Social Work Department of the Alfred Hospital.
- The HIV Coordinator at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- DWF registration form – For new applications
- DWF subsequent 2017 form
- DWF food voucher application form
- DWF Study Assist Registration
- DWF subsequent Study Assist Form
- Centrelink Income Statement - Request Form
If you are interested in applying for a loan under the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS), please download and read this info pack before you contact us.
Another useful resource is The Guide to Relief Throughout Victoria.
The DWF is run from the Positive Living Centre in South Yarra.
For more information on the fund, contact:
Positive Living Centre
51 Commercial Road
South Yarra, Victoria 3141
Phone: (03) 9863 0444
Fax: (03) 9820 3166
Free-call: 1800 134 840